Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My Cat Broke His Leg

I realize this has nothing to do with marketing, but it occured to me that some of you might have animals.



I have a dog, a cat, and four turtles. The dog is old, geriatiric some may say, but I love her. The turtles live in my office. The cat Moe, is an outdoor cat. He's a red tabby and a very affectionate guy.



Last Friday, he came home with a broken leg. It wasn't just a little break, his ankle was shattered. He needed surgery and has a metal plate and six screws holding the bones in place right now. Modern technology is amazing and if this had happened years ago, he would have lost his leg.



He's home now and the issue I'm dealing with is he has to be confined so he doesn't jump and reinjure the leg--now get this--for TWO MONTHS...



So, I've discovered some really interesting things about cats.



1. They do curse. The strangest vocalizations I've ever heard came from his throat when putting him into the cat carrier as well as the crate he's living in.

2. A cat is as strong as a 350 lb man when attempting to get a liquid antibiotic down their throat.

3. They hate being confined.

4. You really have to love them to put up with the above. :-)



Till next time.

Laura

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my three cats get together and curse me in unison when their food bowl is empty! I know that sound all too well.

Ed
http://www.CarolinaEventPlanning.com

Unknown said...

My cat just shattered her ankle. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on your cat??

Suzy from Houston

Unknown said...

My cat just shattered her ankle. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to get it repaired? My husband thinks we should have her put to sleep as she is 12 yrs. old, but I just can't!
Suzy

Laura Betterly said...

Suzy,
It cost us about $2,000.00. You need to really see a good surgeon who can assess what can be done. With my cat, he needed a metal plate and some screws not to mention weeks of living in a cage. He's doing fine now, but it's not easy to decide what to do.

If it's of any help, I had a cat, Tina, who lived 21 years, so your cat might have a lot of life left in him.

I wish you luck and lots of love in making your tough decision. Please let me know how it works out.

Laura